GRACoL (General Requirements for Applications in Commercial Offset Lithography)
GRACoL® is a set of guidelines and recommendations to help print buyers, designers, and specifiers work more effectively with their print suppliers. Click here for general information, or keep reading to learn What's New With GRACoL!
What’s New With GRACoL: February/March 2015
News from the GRACoL/SWOP Working Group: Ron Ellis, Chair, Bruce Bayne, Vice Chair, Mike Rodriguez, Vice Chair
The GRACoL/SWOP Working Group is currently working on the following projects:
- GRACoL Plus, being led by Don Hutcheson. This project is exploring using standard CMYK inks to develop and expanded gamut dataset. To date, testing is being coordinated with three interested ink companies.
- G7 Buyers Group, designed to assess needs, and provide solutions for print buyers. A survey of brand owner print quality needs is underway.
- M1 Workflow – we continue to refine the M1 Workflow. A new document "Idealliance Guide to M1 Workflow" is now available for download HERE.
- The G7 Master program will be upgraded with new requirements starting in April 2015. There will be a one-year grace period during which the old requirements will be honored as we transition to the new and improved G7 Master program.
- There is a Print Properties Meeting being held at Ryerson University in Canada on April 15th.
- The New Idealliance Guide to Print Production is now available! Version 13 replaces the previous version, published in 2012. The new version covers M1, new versions of GRACoL and SWOP, and best practices. PURCHASE HERE.
- The GRACoL Committee hold teleconference meeting several times a month. For information on attending these meetings please contact Ron Ellis at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The next meeting of the Print Propertis and Colorimetric Meeting is April 15-16, 2015, at Ryerson University, Toronto, CA. Register to attend HERE.
G7 SHEETFED USERS: FOLLOW BEST PRACTICES AND MAKE SURE YOU USE THE G7 TARGETED QUALIFICATION KIT AND CHECKLIST DURING YOUR QUALIFICATION/REQUALIFICATION.
The GRACoL Committee is currently working on multiple projects
New GRACoL 2013 and Updated GRACoL 2013 Dataset now available
For the past 7 years GRACoL 2006 has been the primary reference print condition used by designers and print buyers in North America and other regions of the world. The GRACoL Committee is testing a slightly updated version GRACoL 2013 (CGATS 21 RPC-6). GRACoL 2013 is almost identical to GRACoL 2006, with only a few minor differences that should not affect print buyers and print providers. The main difference is that the new GRACoL dataset is based on M1 Measurement aims. Information on New GRACoL 2013 and updated SWOP 2013 profiles are available for download here:
- GRACoL 2013 - DOWNLOAD
- SWOP 2013 – DOWNLOAD
- 2013 G7 Datasets (CGATS 21/ISO 15339) – DOWNLOAD
- Profiles: http://www.idealliance.org/downloads/swop2013-and-gracol2013-icc-profiles
New reference datasets are available for download here: http://www.color.org/registry/index.xalter
M1 Proof to Pressmatch Study
The GRACoL Committee has recently completed an M1 Proof to Pressmatch study. New datasets such as GRACoL 2013, CGATS 21, and the newest ISO 12647-2:2013 revision specify M1 measurement data for both proof and pressmatch.
M1 Press to 15339 Aims: Conducted by APTEK Hong Kong. Results published by Brenda Pang. Results favorable for press vs. M1 targeted press aims.
M1 Proof to Press Match: Conducted by GRACoL Committee, and evaluated by GRACoL Committee and Idealliance Hong Kong/APTEC
US Samples PPC
3/10 failed (30%)
At PPC legacy samples still passed and did not fail.
US Samples Gerry Gerlach
8/25 failed (30%)
6/15 failed when M0 samples removed from test. (25%) (Slightly less based on M0 samples included in test.)
Hong Kong Aptec Samples
5/25 failed (20%)
Hong Kong provided much more detailed information, available for viewing.
Final summary information is now available for GRACoL Committee members.
- A reasonable number of samples were acceptable.
- The M1 workflow appears to work.
- We need to develop more detailed information and best practices on how to select substrates, and perform profiling and calibration operations using M1.
Document Updates for GRACoL 2013 and new datasets
The GRACoL Committee is currently updating the Adobe Color Settings Files, the Proofing Verifier Spreadsheet, and the Substrate Relative Calculator (SCAA) spreadsheet to reflect changes in the new datasets. These documents are now complete, and in final review. Watch here for those and other documents related to the new datasets.There is a new collection of documents about the new M1 datasets. This kit contains a zip file with all the available M1 information.
- SWOP 2013: What’s New
- Common Datasets 2013: What’s New
- Best Practices for Managing Brightened Printing Substrates
- Best Practices for Instruments: M0, M1 etc
Expanded Gamut Printing for Offset Printers
We have started a project to explore using G7 with expanded gamut offset printing. Don Hutcheson has begun formal work on an expanded G7 calibration procedure for an expanded gamut G7 dataset. Most good sheetfed printers are capable of increasing the quality and gamut of their print condition using their normal CMYK inks. The GRACoL committee is developing a set of procedures and best practices to be used by offset printers to calibrate to an expanded gamut G7 calibration in their shops. This project is being discussed during upcoming GRACoL committee calls.
New Idealliance Control Wedge
Print Properties Committee has just completed a 3 row control strip project, which was led by Bruce Bayne. The new control strip contains additional patches, and has been updated. You can download the new control strip from the following link below. (The previous Idealliance 2009 control strip is also still valid as well).
G7 Master Pass/Fail Guidelines
The G7 Master Pass/Fail Guidelines have been published and are available for download for over a year now. The G7 Master Pass/Fail describes detailed pass/fail requirements for pressheets submitted to Idealliance and their auditor for G7 Master and G7 PC Qualification. After a 18 months of review and editing this document is finally complete! All G7 Experts and G7 PC Experts should be familiar with this document.
Idealliance releases Print Guidelines:
Idealliance® has released its 12th Edition of Printing Guidelines, categorizing the latest best practices and specifications for printing. The 44-page guide addresses the demands of evolving customer needs, the new challenges of acting globally, and the latest changes in technology. From specifications such as GRACoL® and SWOP® to updates in lighting and measurement, and the addition of the G7® specification TR015, this publication addresses the latest best practices in printing in North America and Internationally. The guide is available at www.idealliance.org/print-guidelines12.
We have scheduled GRACoL calls for July and August. Watch your email for an agenda as well as dates and times.
GRACoL calls take place frequently. We are always looking for feedback – please contact us – email@example.com and send us your thoughts.
Ron Ellis, Jeff Collins, Mike Rodriquez